Instead, think about the small changes you can start making every day that will not only help you manage your weight, but also be healthier so that you can get the most out of life. It’s easier if you have a bit of support, so get your family and friends on board. You might even inspire them to manage their weight.
For some help setting goals, take a look at our resources.
How do I lose weight?
You’ve probably heard the basic formula for managing weight before. It’s about balancing the energy (kilojoules/calories) you consume through food and drinks, with the energy that you burn off through keeping your body alive and physically active. To lose weight, consume less energy than you burn off. The main ways to do this are:
- Choose healthier foods
- Eat a bit less of most things (except non-starchy vegetables and fruit)
- Move more
Here are some simple weight loss tips to help get you started:
- If you mostly eat foods from the heart healthy food groups, you can reduce your kilojoule intake.
- Eat mindfully, and enjoy your food rather than obsessing about calories or nutrients.
- Using your hands can be a simple way to see how much food you should be eating.
- Set yourself up to win by using subtle strategies like using smaller sized dinner plates, and sitting down at the table to eat.
- Make movement a part of your day. Aim to do some form of physical exercise most days. Remember exercise can be broken up into short bursts throughout the day too. It all adds up!
- Don’t fall for fad diets, quick fixes, or miracle cures. They don’t work long term. If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is.
- Fill up on non-starchy veges.
- Keep alcohol for the weekend and make weekdays an alcohol free zone.
- Eat fewer and smaller amounts of treat foods.
- Eat mindfully, so that you can truly savour the food you eat. When you eat mindfully you are less likely to over eat.
- Eat regular meals with the right amount of food, so you feel satisfied, not full.