Eat clean in 2015
The first question which pops into the mind is what ‘Eat clean’ or a ‘clean diet’ really means. The answer is pretty simple. Eating clean basically means eating the healthiest foods and cutting down on the unhealthy ones. Food items which come under the category of healthy foods include fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and foods rich in proteins. On the other hand, foods that need to be cut back on include refined grains, foods with unhealthy fats and any food with high calorie content because of added sugars and salts.
Quick tips to eat clean
If you have made a New Year resolution to eat clean in 2015, then the following tips will surely come in very useful to help kick start your clean eating diet:
- Avoid processed foods – Processed foods are generally high in fat and calories. Also, most packaged goods have a long list of ingredients which will make you wonder how many of those are actually quite bad for health. However, some packaged foods like chickpeas and whole wheat pasta or macaroni are recommended because of their rich fibre content.
- Include at least one green leafy vegetable in your meal every day – Green vegetables are extremely low in calorie which make sure that you can have as much as you want without putting on weight. Also, vegetable contain essential vitamins which strengthen the bones and improve vision.
- Reduce alcohol intake – The recommended alcohol intake is one drink for females and two drinks for males. Besides that, one can also focus on drinking the relatively healthier alcohols like wine and staying away from drinks with added sugar content.
- Reduce sugar content – One of the unhealthiest diets include foods which have high sugar content. Even for the purpose of dessert, one can be innovative and try some low sugar recipes. Candy bars, chocolates, soda and pastries should be avoided as much as possible.
- Include whole grains – While white bread and white pasta are an absolute no, one can also include grains other than wheat as their staple food.
The best healthy foods
For an eat clean diet, here is a brief overview of what all can be included in your grocery shopping list which will cover all food groups:
Dairy and Proteins
- Eggs (preferably pasture raised)
- Skimmed milk
- Soy Milk
- Goat cheese
- Deli fresh turkey breasts
- Salmon fillet
Fruits and Vegetables:
- Chilli peppers